Now that I’ve moved back to the country I’ve got plans for all sorts of projects. The first one is building a Geodesic Dome Greenhouse from timber.
I’ve spent the past 6 weeks resarching
- Sizes: settled on 8 meter diameter
- Build: kit or DIY. Settled on DIY
- Glazing struts: wood, plastic pipe or tubular metal.
- Joints and Hubs: DIY hubs, off-the-shelf hubs, no hubs.
- Glazing: triple-wall poly-carbonate, polyethylene,
- Raised beds: materials, height, width.
- Foundations: concrete piers, slab
- Internal Paths: width, materials.
- Insulation: north wall insulation types, ground insulation, glazing.
- Orientation: door will face north.
- Double doors: keeping drafts out.
- Vermin control: keeping mice and other beasties out.
- Passive heating and cooling: GAHT, thermal vents, thermal mass.
- Direct heating: wood chip composting, wind turbines.
- Wood preservatives: Leitrim is usually very damp , organic material rots very fast.
- Wood working tools: table saw, mitre saw, digital protractors, staplers, screws, etc.
- Wood Type and Sizes: Species, planed, rough, treated, suppliers.
- Maintenance: Does the build allow to easily repair the structure and individual glazing panels.
I’ve settled on a hub system from Geosota in Russia. Plans have arrived, I’m waiting on the hubs.
To buy: planed 4 x 2, paint, concrete, rebar, post shoes.
Future: Polytunnel plastic, I’d like to get the bubble wrap stuff if possible. Maybe some polycarbonate. Insulation. Soil insulation.